120627 Fireworks Safety
The Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office would like to remind Shawnee County residents, per County Code: the discharge, explosion, or use of any fireworks is prohibited except from June 27 to July 4, between the hours of 8:00 am to midnight.
The sale period for fireworks is from June 27th to July 5th, ONLY.
The fireworks restrictions for Montara Subdivisions are the following: July 1-3, between the hours of 8:00 am to 10:00 pm and July 4, between the hours of 8:00 am to 12:00 pm (midnight).
Residents living in incorporated areas of Shawnee County should contact their local municipalities for provisions. Fireworks can only be discharged in the city limits (Topeka) during the following times:
July 1, 2 & 3 between the hours of 8:00 am to 10:00 pm
July 4th between the hours of 8:00 am to 11:59 pm
• Always read and follow the directions on the fireworks labels
• Keep water (a bucket or garden hose) handy
• Never experiment with homemade fireworks
• Never throw or point fireworks at other people
• Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
• Only ignite fireworks outdoors, never indoors.
• Store unused fireworks in a cool, dry place
• Light one firework at a time and then move away to a safe distance.
• Never stand over a firework when igniting it.
• Follow the laws and use common sense.