Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office

Serving with honor.

Shawnee County Sheriff

Emergency Notification

Internal Resources


Property Sale

View a list of the properties currently for sale.

Shawnee County Sheriff's Sales Frequently Asked Questions

This is an attempt to answer general questions that are presented to the Sheriff's Office and should not be considered legal advice.

When and where are the Sheriff's sales held?

Mortgage foreclosure sales and other property sales ordered by the court to be sold by the Sheriff are held each Tuesday (except holidays) at 10:00 am in the Shawnee County Courthouse basement room B11.

Drug seizure vehicles and agency surplus vehicles are sold through Carlson's Auction Service located at 1-70 and Valencia Rd. For consumer protection all auto auctions in the State of Kansas are for dealers only, and these sales are not advertised. Please contact a vehicle dealer if you wish to participate.

Unclaimed property from the Sheriff's Office property room is sold at

Judicial tax foreclosure sales are set by the county counselor 785-233-8200 ext 4042. This includes all property that is being sold for delinquent real estate tax.

How do I find out more information about a sheriff's sale?

The list of properties contained in this web site may not be a complete list as sales are added and canceled from day to day and this list is completed weekly. If you know the attorney handling the case they would have the most up to date information and possibly the starting bid amount.

If you have the defendants name or a case number, you can visit At this site scroll down the left side to CASE INFO and click on PUBLIC ACCESS. This will take you to a screen where you can search for case information. You may also make open records requests at the Shawnee County Courthouse.

Sales are generally advertised in the Shawnee County Ledger and/or the Topeka Metro News.

You have no rights to personally inspect any property prior to the sale. The homeowner still has legal possession of the property.

When contacting the Sheriff's Office please have a case number, date of sale, or names. We cannot search for properties by address.

What happens at the Sheriff's sale?

The sale begins at 10:00 am sharp. The case number, plaintiffs name and defendants name will be read. The plaintiff (usually a bank) will have a representative there to place the opening bid. After the plaintiff's bid all others present may enter their bid. If you are the winning bidder you will need a certified bank check for the bid amount. The Sheriff's Office will not provide “change” for any transaction. The certified check for over the amount will be held until noon so that you can submit the correct amount to the Sheriff's Office located at 320 South Kansas, Suite 200. If not received by noon the check with overage will be submitted to the Clerk of the District Court and you may make arrangements with them to recover your money over the bid amount.

What happens after the sale?

If you are the winning bidder your money will be taken to the Clerk of the District Court awaiting an order for disbursement. Most properties have a redemption period of 3 to 12 months after the sale. This means the defendant may make arrangements to keep the property. During the redemption period you have no legal right to access the property and the defendant can still reside and maintain possession of the property. If the property is redeemed you will need to contact the plaintiff's attorney so that the funds can be disbursed back to you. You will need to be in contact with the plaintiff's attorney so that the return of sale, certificate of purchase and sheriff's deed are completed and submitted to the Sheriff's Office. Once you have the deed you can take over the property and make arrangements for an eviction if needed.